PDA

View Full Version : charting / reporting in ASP.NET

ashul
02-12-2007, 02:30 PM
After being totally frustrated with the inbuilt cut-down version of crystal and vowing to never use crystal reports again for any project. I have done a Google and came up with lots of different products, don't mind paying for a good one, but really do not have time to test/trail solutions so the questions:

1. What do people use out there
2. Any recommendations
3. Would like something that does not bloat the user experience and at least tries to be standards compliant - in that vein do not bother to suggest Component-art we will not be renewing our subscription for that one next year..

anything?

deprecated-cruelty
03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey Ashul,

For charting with ASP.Net i've used a couple of different components, all depending on budget for the projects/companies..

for easy chart implementation Dundas has some very nice (and easy) charts..www.dundas.com

some other to look at that i've also used is:

www.dotnetcharting.com (http://www.dotnetcharting.com)
www.infragistic.com (http://www.infragistic.com)

the last two are far more versatile but takes longer to implement in that you have more control..

control == more code generally.

i've also used ComponentArt, but as you say, it bloats a bit for the user.

The all-time favorite is Infragistic...it's widely used and i've had no problems with the components themselves, not to mention from their support if something's gone pearshaped.

All charts, because of the extra overhead, will bloat a bit, Infragistic has by far been my favorite to use.

good luck, and let us know which you end up choosing.

deprecated-cruelty
03-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Should quickly mention that Telerik also makes a reporting tool - it's fairly cheep and royalty free..that's for reporting only though..

haven't used it as extensively as the others, but it's worth a look if Crystal is being smart via .Net

RedHawk
11-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I've just come across the Google Chart API which seems pretty interesting...

It's not exactly "ASP.NET" specific but it lets you pass a URL with data into the img tag

http://code.google.com/apis/chart/

Cybernetix
01-02-2008, 11:57 PM
I've played with SQL Server Reporting Services and I have serious reservations against using it. Integration with applications feels a bit "nailed on". It's in the same vain as cut down Crystal Reports. It has some good points but the cons outweight them.

I decided to write my own boilerplate report in ASP.NET using inline C# to render the report. Probably not the most elegant way but I felt I had the power over how the reports were integrated into my web apps - especially in a UI sense.

ashul
02-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I have always had an issue with integrating SQL reporting services in an app - main thing is the security model, too hard to handle and understand.

To write your own is a brave move, but if your needs are simple think it is the best way to go!

A

Cybernetix
02-02-2008, 04:20 PM
You'd be surprised how quick you can knock up a dynamic report with inline C# and ASP.NET. Our standard report reads from a view, functionally we provide sort by, group by, search by and filtering funtions to the data and it gets rendered. Pretty simple concept, works really well and saves having to write heaps of reports. I can knock them up pretty quickly within a day or so of development.

deprecated-cruelty
02-02-2008, 05:14 PM
if i you don't want to use SSRS (and it can be a beast) then using .Net is the next best thing..

what i've done in the past is to create a custom data object (can't go into too much detail on how ours was structured) but it allowed for all of the "normal" features such as sorting, grouping, filtering, linking, master-detail etc to be used on the object, rather than on the database.

next obvious step is of course LINQ To SQL :)

Cybernetix
25-06-2008, 01:12 AM
definitely looking forward to implementing LINQ to SQL in my web applications. unfortunately my manager isn't too phased about rewriting our data tier, which is understandable. hopefully there will be another project i can sink my teeth into and use LINQ with my reporting and data.

RedHawk
14-08-2008, 02:49 PM
If you're talking straight reporting (not charting) then you can knock up one within a couple of hours - and most of that time would be spent doing the SQL for it.
Bind the query datatable to a GridView, chuck in the columns you want to represent (or let it dynamically add them if you are binding to an SQL view and just want to show them all), and then chuck in some pre-built paging and sorting handlers (I have standard ones I bolt in to all my gridviews).
If you want to make it extra fast (i.e. no full-page postback) then chuck in an AJAX ScriptManager and throw the GridView in an UpdatePanel.
That's it, nothing else to do! You now have a report with rapid paging and column sorting for under 2 hours work (okay, the first one you ever build might take longer).
I usually have dropdown list filtering and sometimes keyword searching but these just tap into the SQL query directly, so it only adds another 30 mins work.

If you're talking charting... then good luck!

sholman
19-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I'll add another vote for the Telerik charting tools. We've been using them for some work for the AFL and have been really impressed.

For reporting, your better creating them yourself using grids or tables. I guess the downfall to that is if you want to export to pdf. I have had good experiences with ActiveReports for ASP.NET previous as well.

ashul
06-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Anyone here used the new MS built .net charting: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/11/24/new-asp-net-charting-control-lt-asp-chart-runat-quot-server-quot-gt.aspx

Would be curious if there are any issues that people would be aware of..

montdidier
17-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I like

http://www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/Reporting/

and

http://www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/Controls/Charting/