PDA

View Full Version : php IDE

maxxyb
22-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi

Is there a preferred IDE that is used to develop with PHP? Is Eclipse too heavy?

Thanks in advance.

tuna
22-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I use Coda.. but thats for a mac only.

Khan
23-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I've been using Zend Studio (http://www.zend.com/en/products/studio/) (from "The PHP People") for a few years now. Haven't had any issues with it since the 4.x days and it doesn't exactly need a monster system to run. They've also got a Zend for Eclipse version out, but it's still in development and I wouldn't recommend it for full-time development.

Eclipse has the PDT extension but I always found Eclipse too slow and cluttered on my old system. Other people swear by it though, so it's probably just a matter of personal preference.

There's also PHP Edit (http://www.waterproof.fr/). I haven't used it for years now but found it to be a good application when I did.

Basil
25-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Big fan of Zend Studio

phpftw
25-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Zend for Eclipse is awesome!

Mr C
26-02-2008, 02:49 AM
I use eclipse. Does all the stuff I need it to do like cvs, svn & ant.

maxxyb
26-02-2008, 07:33 PM
for all your suggestions. i'm going to try zand studio and also eclipse.

Ruxton
29-02-2008, 10:32 AM
+1 for zend studio for eclipse, i've always looked for a decent PHP IDE and nothing ever really fit the bill for me, until this.

Alfreido
10-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Depends on your OS:

Windows:
- Dreamweaver
- Zend Studio for Eclipse

Macintosh:
- Coda

Linux:
- Zend Studio for Eclipse
- Quanta

In my opinion though, scrap em all and go with VIM :)

cdiprose
11-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Zend Studio gets my vote .. tip: look for code completion as it is a handy and quick coding feature only in some IDE's

Dave
17-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Argh... Eclipse *sigh*... I am looking for a good PHP IDE, but I cannot bring myself to install the Java runtime on my machine. It just seems so wrong :)

Dave
17-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Found this one too, I tried it a few years ago back when it was a tiny little IDE that made more sense than notepad. Seems to have grown up a bit too...

http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php

Ruxton
20-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Argh... Eclipse *sigh*... I am looking for a good PHP IDE, but I cannot bring myself to install the Java runtime on my machine. It just seems so wrong :)

Argh.. java haters *sigh* :) Heres a good product that does what you want, but you wont install a runtime on your machine to use it on the basis that it seems wrong?? :) that's soo wrong ;)

achapman
24-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I love PhpEd by Nusphere http://www.nusphere.com/.
PhpEd has all the bells and whistles (included integrated database browsing, ftp/sftp publishing and code completion).

Dave
25-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Argh.. java haters *sigh* :) Heres a good product that does what you want, but you wont install a runtime on your machine to use it on the basis that it seems wrong?? :) that's soo wrong ;)

There are a lot of things that I hate about Eclipse itself, so it's not just limited to the JRE. I don't have any other reason to actually have it installed, and won't do it for just one app :)

santouras
10-04-2008, 11:09 PM
zend studio 5 is great. with v6 they've moved to ecplipse :( but I'm still using v5 which I recommend without hesitation

eleusis
14-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Note that the old 'Zend Studio' has now been replaced by 'Zend Studio for Eclipse', which is basically Eclipse with PDT and some special Zend bits.

I use Zend Studio for Eclipse at work, along with Tasktop/Mylyn and a few other little Eclipse plugins.

Alfreido
14-04-2008, 09:43 AM
The Aptana Plugin for Eclipse brings back FTP support in a big way. Yes, you can do FTP with a vanilla Zend Studio install... but it sucks :) So I would recommend the Aptana Plugin if you're using Zend Studio.

maxxyb
06-05-2008, 08:51 PM
for all your suggestions. I've also stumbled onto another option - netbeans which is sun's ide primarily for java development. However it also supports php and has support for ruby on rails. It may be a bit heavy for some, but I have found it quite useful and it's css support is great.

neoartifact
12-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I have tried every major IDE under the sun. Out of them all, I like Aptana (modified eclipse backend and not the plugin for eclipse) as it has FTP support and javascript support goodness. Zend Studio is a close second, but in regards to JUST php coding, id rather use a simple text editor with php completion support than use an Eclipse backend to do the same. The latest Aptana is just beautiful at everything (Except it can lag when you have massive php files with huge classes. You shouldn't have huge low cohesive classes anyway).

Ruxton
12-11-2008, 01:52 PM
The more and more netbeans gets it's PHP support under control the more and more i ditch dreamweaver.

mrducksworth
05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
yeah I've been using NetBeans, and are liking it. No heaps decent support for GIT version control in the IDEs. Time to get comfortable with the GIT command line. There's a command to update / add the files that have already been added.. so that's cool.

Ruxton
08-06-2009, 10:54 AM
The only thing i bother to open dreamweaver for now is to edit Dreamweaver templates and sites i don't have netbeans projects setup for.

::Scott::
09-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I reckon you cant beat Zend Studio Eclipse.. Ive tried a fair few, including the free eclipse plugin, but Zend dominates

gutterboy
14-06-2009, 12:31 AM
I hate NetBeans.... :mad:

I have used Aptana extensively & while it's not bad, it has a lot of fiddly little things I don't like about it.

Whilst I'm not using the IDE, I am using their free version called Komodo Edit.... lacks a good for formatting tool like Aptana has, but other than that it's my tool of choice. :)

stevebramley
29-06-2009, 05:00 PM
yep, CODA for mac and DW for winblows (played with a few others but i'd been DW institutionalised already and couldn't cope without my familiar bugs and highlighting).

mrducksworth
01-07-2009, 02:54 PM
ok I moved from NetBeans to Eclipse PDT because I couldn't get remote xdebugging working. A mate pointed out Komodo, and that looks awesome

maxxyb
27-07-2009, 01:12 PM
yes i'm having trouble getting debug working properly for PHP in netbeans. i use logging for most of my debugging and so far have got by on this.

but i would be interested to hear if anyone has successfully gotten PHP debugging up and running in netbeans.

purencool
08-03-2010, 08:16 AM
netbeans especially with the updates to the php xhtml css syntax every couple of months.
It just get better and better. It is cross platform and now I have about the template setup the work flow is fast.

nebbian
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Coda FTW! :cool:

Yaheed
15-03-2010, 10:45 AM
For me it's a toss-up between Netbeans and Coda.

Dave
19-03-2010, 01:51 PM
We registered NuSphere phpED for the office - very nice!

thezeski
29-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I liked NetBeans because it had jQuery code highlighting and hinting out of the box...

It just feels like a lot more love went into it than Eclipse (and Aptana!).

tsick
23-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I love Eclipse. Zend Studio is good aswell but PDT is free :)