PDA

View Full Version : What makes YOU a good web developer

heist
06-02-2009, 01:19 PM
OK this is a bit of smoke blown up your own .. but i think it'd be cool to see what makes everyone think they're so great. Well, more importantly, get an idea of what you think is important :)

Tell me why your approach is the best? What do you do that sets you apart from the rest?

icon
09-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Ohoh, I'll go first!

One of the reasons I'm such an awesome person to hire (hint hint) is that I approach every project as if I'm some sort of obsessive genius mad scientist designing the ultimate thing-a-ma-jig of doom in such a way that the entire known galaxy must tremble before the might and hurricane force of my creative genius!

Yup :)

At this point it might be worth noting that this approach to work has not been without its flaws.

Unfortunately the thing-a-ma-jig I'm working on is rarely a giant cold fusion powered battle robot with shoulder mounted tachyon lasers slaved to the brain of a genetically altered cyber-ferret! More often it's a logo animation or a flash gallery.

It also happens that rarely are such inane thing-a-ma-jigs accompanied by the requisite budget to support my fervent need to re-design, re-animate and breathe life into it's dying carcass of a genre so that from now on everyone will need one like I built! More often it just needs to be done by 3:30pm on Tuesday afternoon if you can swing it thanks wil.

And of course there's the slightly demoralising way in which not every client seems to appreciate the inherent blinding genius I've displayed in managing to allow their new flash gallery to also double as a weapons guidance system, dog training simulator and live streaming server for Albanian TV! Instead they always seem to fuss over strange trivial things such as whether they like the slight glow and saturation additive filters I coded for the thumbnails on roll over.

One might say that my work is sort of like this very post in many ways. It's usually over-complicated, incumbently ambitious, verging on bizarre, completed at a god awful early hour in the morning and just a little bit frightening.

But some people seem to like it :)

kay
09-02-2009, 06:31 AM
a giant cold fusion powered battle robot with shoulder mounted tachyon lasers slaved to the brain of a genetically altered cyber-ferret

Cool, I like ColdFusion too :)

icon
09-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Cool, I like ColdFusion too :)

One person pleased. See! My technique works, Huzzah!

jexley
09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow, I've only had one cuppa thus far... at this point, there's about as much chance of me touting my (former) development abilities as there is for me to read Wil's insanities in one mental breath.

Still awesome though, I just haven't absorbed it, but *sigh* you had me at "Cold Fusion".

Adrian Stein
09-02-2009, 10:17 AM
My philosophy has been to always strive for excellence. That sounds kind of corny, but if I'm going to be a web developer, I want to try to be one of the best. It depends on how you want to position yourself - some people want to be the "Crazy Clarks" of web design, and that might work if you can pump out cheap websites quickly. But if you can find the right clients, why not try to be the "heart surgeon" of the web design industry?

Of course, I'm not perfect (neither am I the best), and I've still got a lot to learn. But I figure if you're going to do something, why not do it properly? I hate cutting corners and doing a half-arsed job of things, and on the opposite side of the coin I absolutely LOVE well-designed and well-built websites, so that's what I strive for.

Web developers have a lot of competition from Indians who will work for next to nothing by our standards, so if we can't be cheaper, we should try to be the best.

Over and out.

alexpooley
09-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I use a Mac, and that makes me awesome.

mattman
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I use a Mac, and that makes me awesome.

* I use a Mac & code Ruby, and that makes me awesome. ;-)

neoartifact
09-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I use linux and I use open source software, and that makes me an awesome nerd.

But to answer the question truthfully, what makes me a great web developer is simply this -> I put up with more shit than a plumber, people underestimate and underappreciate me but I still build fuggin websites without making much of a profit.
If (awesome == 'help me') {
shootTheLivingShitOutOfMe('now', 'shotgun');
}

:D

temp
09-02-2009, 03:31 PM
You give me money and over time I give you back more. To do this I leverage the interwho. Ergo, so awesome web developer.

natgimm
10-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm not a developer, but have worked with quite a few of them (and very talented ones at that!). I have an eye for what works and what doesn't - even though I couldn't build it myself (so I'm careful about constructive criticism). I've seen a lot of crappy "portfolios", where the design is the same, they've just changed the colours, logo and swapped a couple of menu names.

That's why I like to get to the client before they hire a developer, to make sure they get what they want (not what is dictated to them). I sit in the middle and buffer the client from "whizz bang word bingo" and buffer the developer from "hand holding elbow" (like tennis elbow!).

In other words, if you're the developer, I make you look awesome :)

jordanbrock
10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I drink lots of coffee.

tuna
10-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I drink lots of coffee.

Any special developer brand or blend of coffee, or is it just "international roast"? :D

kay
10-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Any special developer brand or blend of coffee, or is it just "international roast"? :D

I hear that Jordan likes to make a special home brew of International Roast mixed up with Nescafe Blend 43. That's what makes him a good web developer :D

Al
10-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I can recite all 50 US states in 1/4 of a second.

jexley
10-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I can recite all 50 US states in 1/4 of a second.

Dude, I can do that, and since I actually AM American, I can say 'em right too. Like silent "s" in Illinois and Arkansas, but not in Kansas. That one still gets the wife.

And blending International Roast with Blend 43 isn't near as good as chucking in some Milo and a crushed Tim Tam. Whiskey optional, but not for me, I'm married with 3 young kids... it's downright mandatory.

jordanbrock
12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I hear that Jordan likes to make a special home brew of International Roast mixed up with Nescafe Blend 43. That's what makes him a good web developer :D

*RAGE*

*MORE RAGE TO GET PAST 10 CHAR LIMIT*

tuna
12-02-2009, 05:46 PM
*RAGE*

*MORE RAGE TO GET PAST 10 CHAR LIMIT*

I can understand Jordons rage. Forgot the "Pablo Coffee" and "Copper Kettle"

So it is special blend of

"International Roast, Nescafe Blend 43, Pablo Coffee, Copper Kettle and a pinch of sawdust"

Mr Brock I think we have sprung you; we now have your secret! :)

mattman
12-02-2009, 08:53 PM

"International Roast, Nescafe Blend 43, Pablo Coffee, Copper Kettle and a pinch of sawdust"

Mr Brock I think we have sprung you; we now have your secret! :)

You forgot to mention it's all "snap-frozen" and refrigerated to keep in the goodness.

jordanbrock
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Take out everything but the sawdust, and it might actually be drinkable.

heist
13-02-2009, 12:05 PM
maybe with enough whiskey in it

edit: ^^ that's what makes me a top web developer

hambodevelopment
20-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Because we have great attention to detail and aren't afraid to advise the client if something can be done better.