PDA

View Full Version : Parsons Outdoor Power Equipment Launched - Big Click Studios

juz4dafunofit
28-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Here's our latest site we've built. Will be good to hear what you think... your feedback is always welcome.

Parsons Outdoor Power Equipment (http://www.nswmowers.com.au)

Justin - Big Click Studios
@JustinRob
@BigClickStudios
www.bigclickstudios.com

kay
28-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Just had a quick glance over, looks pretty... nice and clean. Although I'm sure I've seen that grass header used somewhere else. A few somewheres maybe.

There's some dodgy markup in there - bad nesting - are you using an OS CMS/ecoms system or something home-grown?

heist
28-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Just had a quick glance over, looks pretty... nice and clean. Although I'm sure I've seen that grass header used somewhere else. A few somewheres maybe.

There's some dodgy markup in there - bad nesting - are you using an OS CMS/ecoms system or something home-grown?

clean? looks really untidy to me. homepage especially has way too much going on.

jordanbrock
28-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I like the design, though like Kay the grass header looks familiar from something.

But there's way too much motion! I have Flash disabled by default, so it was only the image carousel at first (which shouldn't automatically move ... leave that up to the user), but when I enabled flash it was like "WHOAH!"

Seriously, cut some of that out. You'll poke someone's eye out :)

tuna
28-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Design - nice... a very green site :)

Grass is way too common for this market segment, you have to watch that one. :)

Have you eye tracked this baby as it seems that your eye is flitting all over the shop due to motion that is in itself counter productive.

I would also question if some of the information in some of the top level menus was immediately relevant to a customer. After all they are the ones that count.

In fact the entire category system is geared towards customers that know what they want and are repeat customers. You are not taking into account the customer that doesn't know where to look or what brand sells what product. The Information Structure really does need to be looked at.

Putting the navigation detail on the bottom is NOT good design, its a design or Information Architecture that is half baked. Please avoid the bloated footer - no one likes a big bum.

The navigation indicators as to where I am on the site appear to be borked.

If I'm on About Us, I think I'm in Products. Why is Specials the same colour as the roll over, is it stuck..??

Some of the pics are very fussy...

The Toys & Merchandise section. I get there then I have to click on another link to get to the information. "Check out our online store here"

This is a major no no. Maintain the flow of information to the client, you are making me jump through hoops.

Products - So I have no idea where to go to buy a whipper snipper, you have no section for them... Oh well I'll just go look elsewhere.

Mid level Product page eg Products > John Deere >Lawn Tractors

"JD Items" <---- what is this! is it an error.

Pkay so I what to enquire on a John Deere X304 (4WS). But there is no link for me to do so, I have to go to another page to do this. I would fix this.

Search - seriously no search?

Why is the online store separate??

ashul
28-04-2009, 10:12 PM

we used it once..

http://www.adamgilchrist.com/ - don't critique the site it is way too old for that and has not been updated for yonks.. Except I think our grass with the soil looks nicer :)

juz4dafunofit
23-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi People,

Thanks for the very comprehensive comments! I haven't logged on to the forum for a while and missed your posts.

I agree with all your points, although some things need to be done a certain way due to the client wanting them done that way. The grass had to be used as its a big part of their branding... they have signage, vehicle wraps and promotional stuff that uses it.

The movement... yep I agree looking back as it that it could do with a little less going on. However the flash and the product scroller do serve very different purposes.

With the shopping cart, they only sell toys and hats online, not the actual power equipment so that's why it has a separate area. The core business is their retail shops, not selling hats and toys online so the main function of the site is to act as an online gallery for the retail stores. Most of their clientele would know what product/brand they are looking for.

The footer has a lot of links there due to SEO, the site ranks very well for brand and product names so unfortunately that also had to be there.

The whole site is in a custom built CMS so most images, text, pages, menu item are out of my control. Its always a bummer when a client butchers a nice design but alas ... it is their website to butcher ;)

I hope I answered most of your questions. Thanks again for you feedback - ill start a new thread with some of the later sites we have done.

Cheers

Justin - Big Click Studios (http://www.bigclickstudios.com)
@JustinRob
@BigClickStudios