PDA

View Full Version : Accessing PC from work

gutterboy
19-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey guys.... I'm not sure if it's possible to do anything like this without setting up a server that is accessible via the web, but that's why I'm asking :p

Basically I have two PC's at home..... one I am running a WAMP configuration on to help me develop locally (plus I also have subversion repositories setup on this machine also) & the other I am running IIS so I can use Axosoft's OnTime application.

Now, if I have a PC at work & I want to be able to use OnTime from there as well as have access to & be able to commit to the subversion repositories... how can I do that? Do I have to set them up to be web accessible? Which most if not all ISP's don't allow? (running a server).

Any help on what I can do to achieve what I am looking for? Thanks!

Mr C
19-05-2009, 02:07 AM
You need to port forward the right ports to the right ip addresses in your adsl router.

eg your_ip:svn_port_no to internal_ip
and your_ip:80 to internal_ip

To get to the other machine you can use another port eg 8080 and forward that to port 80 of that machine, assuming OnTime is a web application (I've not heard of it).

You should set up both machines with static ip numbers.

I do the same thing so I can vnc and ssh into my various machines from work.

gutterboy
19-05-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks for that.

What about if you have a dynamic IP?

ashul
19-05-2009, 05:35 AM
you can use services like http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ or if your router is fairly stable - your IP will be the same as long as you stay connected.

Out of curiosity, Why would you want to access these from home?

Mr C
19-05-2009, 06:44 AM
He wants to access his home computers from work. Useful for entertaining yourself during lunch. I have a zoneminder box at home for security, and can monitor that remotely form work.

madpilot
19-05-2009, 08:37 AM
If you can install software on you computer at work, try: Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en)

tuna
19-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Hamachi x 2

ashul
19-05-2009, 12:48 PM
thanks for the link Myles - Hamachi looks the bomb: the missing piece in my really cool off-site back up puzzle..

icon
19-05-2009, 03:12 PM
He wants to access his home computers from work. Useful for entertaining yourself during lunch. I have a zoneminder box at home for security, and can monitor that remotely form work.

During lunch you check your zoneminder box at home to entertain yourself?

gutterboy
19-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the great info! :D

indhyper
20-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I just forward the Remote Desktop port on my home router to my Windows machine, and at work log into iinet's toolbox to get IP address, then just point Remote Desktop at the IP address.

Works really well and the IP address only changes about once a fortnight, so it's no drama. (I actually consider it a security feature that the IP address changes ;) )

You could do the same with VNC if you don't have a Windows machine.

benmay
21-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Or if you want things to stay secure, get yourself a little PPTP VPN router if you don't want people getting in and snooping around

gutterboy
21-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys - I thought I might just get an external HD that I can take to work for SVN, but yeah..... would still need to do something like this for accessing OnTime.

Mr C
24-05-2009, 04:07 AM
During lunch you check your zoneminder box at home to entertain yourself?

No, i'd work on my own projects, check stuff out of cvs, check on torrents etc. Maybe I should have phrased that better.

frenzy3
24-05-2009, 09:36 AM
If you use a usb disk Also look at xcopy /d use /? For help . There is also synctoy from microsoft