PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had any experience with MySource Matrix?

harmonysteel
06-02-2010, 08:25 AM
A government client of mine wants to use this CMS but I've never encountered it before - was wondering if anyone here has worked with this one before and can tell me what it's like? More specifically:

Is it user-friendly for clients?
Is it user-friendly for designers / easy enough to set up and modify templates and modules?
Or is it a pure-developer product I'll need to outsource for?http://matrix.squiz.net/

Thanks heaps
Harmony

Ray
06-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Harmony,

When I was working at a Dept. here in WA we looked at MySource Matrix as a CMS option - it ticked a lot of boxes, especially for compliance with the guidelines for govt. websites over here.

I remember also thinking it was user friendly - we were going to have a group of internal people managing it and wanted to choose a product that was easy to use.

From memory it was going to take some custom theme development, but that was the same with all the options really.

Also there are some others in Govt. who have reviewed it and provided me with some useful info at the time. I think they are on this forum too.

I ended up recommending it - but for some reason or another SilverStripe was chosen - which is a great product too...

mattman
06-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi Harmony,

I've not used it myself (I remember the days of MySource Classic!) - UWA use it as the campus wide CMS and it seems very easy for admin staff etc to manage sites from what I've seen.

atetlaw
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
A colleague of mine at SitePoint used to work at Squiz. She speaks very highly of Matrix.

Maybe I can encourage her to join the forum and make a comment.

raena
08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
My ears burn? BTW: I could have sworn I signed up last July. That's what the confirmation email from last July says, anyway. Where did my account go?

# Is it user-friendly for clients?

Depends on how comfortable your clients are, and how much time you're willing/able to put in to learning how to configure it. It is relatively intuitive, providing that you have configured it to be so.

# Is it user-friendly for designers / easy enough to set up and modify templates and modules?

The templating system is actually pretty nice, in my view. I would say that, since I'm quite used to it. If you're at all concerned about having it spit out standards compliant goodness, don't be -- it's absolutely doable. If you've ever spent any time with Movable Type, the templating system is most like that. You do have excellent control over templates on a per page basis.

You don't exactly have 'modules,' per se, the way that you might have plugins in WordPress/Drupal/whatever. If you need to do something that Matrix doesn't do, you either need to write your own stuff (or outsource), or have Squiz do the custom development for you.

Do you know specifically what this client wants to do? Some people think that a web content management system ought to also be a document manager and CRM and booking system and kitchen sink. Like any CMS, if you want Matrix to do all that, you're going to have to go beyond what comes out of the box.

If you'd like to try it with minimal hassle, grab the vm demo (http://matrixsecrets.com/demo/) from this site and have a fiddle. Documentation is here (http://matrix.squiz.net/resources/documentation), too.

harmonysteel
10-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Thank you for the detailed feedback, I really appreciate it :)

Sounds like quite a decent CMS!

Raena - Good suggestion. I'm 99% sure they just need it for editing web content but I will double-check.

Thanks again all!

- Harmony