PDA

View Full Version : Port80 3 March

Rachel
22-02-2010, 07:44 AM
I'll be there, are you going?

Organisers, is there any chance of someone taking the floor for a very mini-talk (if it helps the decision-making process, it won't be me!)

I know of several people with cool things to share who'd like the opportunity to do a very short preso in a non-threatening, non-scary and slightly drunk environment.

I know mini-talks used to be a feature of Port80 and personally I'd love to see 'em back.

tuna
22-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I'll be there, are you going?

Organisers, is there any chance of someone taking the floor for a very mini-talk (if it helps the decision-making process, it won't be me!)

I know of several people with cool things to share who'd like the opportunity to do a very short preso in a non-threatening, non-scary and slightly drunk environment.

I know mini-talks used to be a feature of Port80 and personally I'd love to see 'em back.

I agree the mini talks, when they where promoted, draw a lot of people to port80. Otherwise for some there is no real reason to go.

I for one want the mini talks back.... !

miles
22-02-2010, 08:02 AM
I agree; mini talks are a great way to get people along, and even better when they're interesting. :)

We need poeple to stand up and offer themselves - one of the biggest hurdles we find is getting people who are willing to stand up amongst a group and do a short talk on something.

Ideally, these talks are;

1. Not professional - we don't need a polished talk, but you may want to think about topic before you arrive!

2. Not a vendor pitch. We don't want a 5 minute sales pitch, and nor do the people who come along.

3. 5-10 minutes in length. Nothing overly difficult to organise. This is short enought to keep peoples interest, and long enough that people get a real indicator on what you are talking about.

Everyone on here have something useful to say. Please, I encourage you to contact us (http://app.webindustry.asn.au/contact/) with your topic, and when you're available.

Cheers

Miles.

Rachel
22-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks Miles :)

I'm looking forward to some great presos :)

ashul
22-02-2010, 09:35 AM
I would love to have them back and I think they are a very good reason to have a Port80.

The marketing sub-committee met last week to discuss this and also go over the survey that so many of you completed and will be putting forward a list of recommendations to the main committee for consideration.

With regards to Port80: In summary our thoughts are to make port80's Australia-wide community driven and not AWIA functions. AWIA would stick to putting energy into the Ideas events across Australia, Edge of the Web in WA and the Australian Web Awards.

Our collective thinking is that AWIA will support these community events (Port80) by providing a kitty for food and assist in marketing to our membership.

Obviously this could change but gives you an idea of what will be discussed at next months AWIA committee meeting.

Ashul

Rachel
22-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks Ashul, I appreciate the insight into direction of AWIA and Port80. For what it is worth I think it is a sensible strategy.

tuna
22-02-2010, 09:44 AM
I would love to have them back and I think they are a very good reason to have a Port80.

The marketing sub-committee met last week to discuss this and also go over the survey that so many of you completed and will be putting forward a list of recommendations to the main committee for consideration.

With regards to Port80: In summary our thoughts are to make port80's Australia-wide community driven and not AWIA functions. AWIA would stick to putting energy into the Ideas events across Australia, Edge of the Web in WA and the Australian Web Awards.

Our collective thinking is that AWIA will support these community events (Port80) by providing a kitty for food and assist in marketing to our membership.

Obviously this could change but gives you an idea of what will be discussed at next months AWIA committee meeting.

Ashul

I would support letting the community organising the mini talks. Does this mean organising the venue and AV etc (if required).

*puts hand up* - glad to assist in this area.

Vee
26-02-2010, 12:34 PM
I sent an email to [email protected] but haven't had a reply so I'll repost it here...

Long story short, I have a couple of Sitepoint books that have been sent to me twice so Sitepoint have agreed for me to donate them to the AWIA on their behalf.

The Principles Of Successful Freelancing - http://www.sitepoint.com/books/freelancer1/
Online Marketing Inside Out - http://www.sitepoint.com/books/online1/

Perhaps they can be used as a door prize or mini talk bribe?

Rachel
26-02-2010, 01:18 PM
That's really generous of you Vee. :)

Vee
26-02-2010, 01:38 PM
That's really generous of you Vee. :)

You can thank Sarah Taylor from SitePoint Support too

Has anyone put their hand up for a mini talk as yet?

tuna
26-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Talks - Needs to be a bit of clarification on the event booking and supply of AV equipment if required.

davidodonnell
02-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Any chance of a talk on March 3?
Or more likely to happen next time?

tuna
02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Any chance of a talk on March 3?
Or more likely to happen next time?

Know anyone that wants to step up..

Rachel
02-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Have we got any volunteers to run a talk this month?

You'll all be disappointed to know I've lost my voice... (seriously.) Hoping a beer or two will sort it out.

ashul
02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
You'll all be disappointed to know I've lost my voice... (seriously.) Hoping a beer or two will sort it out.
have you quit the sparkling water then?

Rachel
02-03-2010, 02:55 PM
February is over and all bets are off!

zeroedin
02-03-2010, 06:01 PM
i was looking forward to coming this wednesday but I've been roped into helping out our scout group on a group night.

Vee
02-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm planning to finally make the trek, what time do things usually wind up?

tuna
02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm planning to finally make the trek, what time do things usually wind up?

Ends about 8:30 - 9:30 no official bugger off time really

ashul
02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
i think i am going to go to P80 this time, see youse all there