PDA

View Full Version : Paypal vs paymate

SEOcourse
05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
What is your point of view of Paypal vs payment... I love the idea of "supporting" the idea of paymate, but the % is simply crazy.

and with paypal... well, after 4 years, I learn that paypal has no law or order.. they can do what ever they want to do with your account and there is little you can do. (that's why I have 4 accounts)

any other Aussie option for online payments?

kay
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
we use eWAY, it's really easy to integrate. PayPal is great for consumers - when I want to buy something, if the vendor accepts PayPal I always take that option - but from the developer's point of view it sucks balls.

Mr C
05-03-2010, 10:16 PM
What is your point of view of Paypal vs payment... I love the idea of "supporting" the idea of paymate, but the % is simply crazy.

and with paypal... well, after 4 years, I learn that paypal has no law or order.. they can do what ever they want to do with your account and there is little you can do. (that's why I have 4 accounts)

any other Aussie option for online payments?

Having four paypal accounts is against their TOS. You are only supposed to have 2 paypal accounts. One personal, one for business.

eWAY requires you have a merchant bank account, I believe.
They also charge you for failed transactions. Which could be costly if someone decided to repeatedly send fake details via your payment system. Something you should have your developers watch out for.

kay
05-03-2010, 11:42 PM
They also charge you for failed transactions. Which could be costly if someone decided to repeatedly send fake details via your payment system. Something you should have your developers watch out for.

That's easy - just don't allow more than say 3 failed transactions from one IP address in any 24 hour period. Just fail them all silently after that. And don't ship to Indonesia or Nigeria :)

Webolution
06-03-2010, 09:25 AM
PayMate have gone downhill of late IMO. A number of clients had issues where no payment emails were being sent by the paymate system. They confirmed it the issue was at their end - they did fix it however to their credit. One client also had an account suspended without notice and for no reason - it was re-activated when they were notified and they couldn't provide a reason as to why it was suspended. That combined with higher fees than PayPal and the choice was clear for at least one client.

Personally, I think the likes of eWay, eMatters, SecurePay, etc are a much better choice for collecting payments, but the cost is prohibitive for smaller operators / those with lower turnovers compared to PayPal.

ashul
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
paypal - quick to set-up (eg, express) if you are using paypal interface to complete the payment, and dirt cheap for what you get even with their commission charge. Apart from Kay's reason, it is the best way to go, as Paypal offers CC payments if you do not have a paypal account.

They have recently bought payflow (expensive) and this integrates well to websites, if they replace their current website payments standard with this it will be easier to integrate stuff.

I would not touch paymate.

A

ashul
06-03-2010, 12:36 PM

In that respect Securepay or Camtech (same company) are really the only ones I would use..

nebbian
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I use paypal for personal sites, and eway for larger business sites. Eway is great. Have also used camtech, not so much of a fan but it did work OK.

zeroedin
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Not sure what SecurePay is like from a users perspective, but I found it quite developer friendly (or maybe i'm just a code/problem junkie :rolleyes:). I've only used it once for a donation form on the One Man Epic (http://onemanepic.com) website.

kay
06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
In that respect Securepay or Camtech (same company) are really the only ones I would use..

eWAY is, as I understand it, an API for Camtech.

Does Camtech still require you to install gateway software on the server?

nebbian
07-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Don't think Camtech required gateway software on my server, but I do remember that the two API's were totally different... had to write a wrapper for both of them so we could pick and choose which one we felt like using. They certainly didn't use the same fields, which required some jiggery pokery in the wrapper...

ashul
07-03-2010, 08:40 AM
eWAY is, as I understand it, an API for Camtech.

Does Camtech still require you to install gateway software on the server?

Camtech now uses Secure Pay's API's and is completely integrated into Secure Pay's systems - there is no difference between the two.

kay
07-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Camtech now uses Secure Pay's API's and is completely integrated into Secure Pay's systems - there is no difference between the two.

ok, so then does securepay require gateway software or is it all just accessed via APIs now? Cos that was the bit that always sucked about Camtech. Is there a reseller program for Securepay like there was for Camtech (like, where the developer gets a cut in return for supporting the client)?

We like eWAY but that's really because it's the path of least resistance, I'm not entirely sure if there's a better option these days. There wasn't last time I looked at the various players, which was probably two years ago.

ashul
07-03-2010, 04:05 PM
The good news for Australian Web Industry Association (AWIA) members is that we have got a really sweet deal from Secure Pay, we will be announcing that shortly. Not only do AWIA members get a higher commission than publicised on the secure pay website but members' clients will get a discount as well.

tuna
07-03-2010, 04:10 PM
The good news for Australian Web Industry Association (AWIA) members is that we have got a really sweet deal from Secure Pay, we will be announcing that shortly. Not only do AWIA members get a higher commission than publicised on the secure pay website but members' clients will get a discount as well.

Finally!!!!

kay
07-03-2010, 05:32 PM

That's freaking awesome news, can't wait to hear the details.

Franki
08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
been using Paymate since they first popped up and never have any dramas. Also have PP account for just as long, but PM is definitely better. I haven't had a large payment "held" by PM just because it's large. PP held to one of them and then gave me a flat out lie as an excuse (to hold the payment).

Plus PM us Australian.

PP is and will always remain the last option for me.

Webolution
08-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm getting 404's for paymate.com.au

edit: paymate.com works fine, just the .au version getting errors

Plus PM us Australian.

I forgot to add, Paymate is not Australian - direct quote from their site "Paymate is a US company with offices in Silicon Valley, USA, Ottawa, Canada, and Sydney, Australia."

Vee
08-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I forgot to add, Paymate is not Australian

Head office moved to the US mid last year

This is a good thing though - http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/component/content/article/65

eWAY-CEO
11-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Just for the record - eWAY is in no way connected to Camtech. We have our own direct connections to the banking network.
Cheers
Matt Bullock
CEO
eWAY