PDA

View Full Version : video for iphone

patricktt
30-03-2010, 02:45 PM
hey is there an accepted solution for embedding videos on website so that they can play in the iphone? If so, what are the pros and cons to it? Does the user have to have the software to play it?

Thanks!

Patrick

madpilot
30-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Use HTML5

In theory any ipod ready video file should work

Although from what I've heard it doesn't actually play embedded, it plays in the phones built in video player

patricktt
30-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I did have a look at that, but was wondering how many people can actually view the videos using normal browsers?

madpilot
30-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I did have a look at that, but was wondering how many people can actually view the videos using normal browsers?

*opens a can of worms*

Webkit (Safari/Chrome) will work
Opera will work, but I don't think is supports Quicktime/H.264 (Only Theora?)
FF 3.5+ will work but again only supports Theora.

An aside: Webkit DOESN'T support Theora.

No IE supports HTML5 video tag (and even if it did, it would probably only support WMV)

In short - sniff the User Agent, if it's an iPhone/Webkit, use HTML, if not use flash

* All of this all from memory, so it might not be 100% correct now

patricktt
30-03-2010, 03:07 PM
In short - sniff the User Agent, if it's an iPhone/Webkit, use HTML, if not use flash

now there's an idea... hadn't thought of that :D could well be the solution! Guessing HTML5 video code supports .flv files? Or I have to dynamically make a couple of copies in different formats?

temp
30-03-2010, 03:37 PM
note you cannot embed audio or video in pages in mobile safari, you can only link to files which will open externally in quicktime player.

Please prove me wrong!

madpilot
30-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Guessing HTML5 video code supports .flv files??

Of course not. That would be too easy. You need to have two copies of the video...

patricktt
30-03-2010, 04:01 PM
haha doh! ah well, I will give that a go and see what i come up with :D