PDA

View Full Version : Learning spree

danspace
31-03-2010, 10:11 AM
First off, hello guys and girls of the web. I've likely met some of you at a p80 meet a while back. Sadly I haven't had a chance to return as yet.

Secondly I've been doing a lot of learning of late, especially in the development area & I would love some feedback on my learning topics.
a) Is joomla evil?
b) If I wanted to learn a CMS proficiently, which would you recommend I look at?
c) Does the flying scottsman still serve that delicious combination of chips, gravy and cheese :D

Ray
31-03-2010, 10:26 AM
1. Joomla is Satan's preferred CMS.

2. I'd recommend learning Wordpress. It's incredibly versatile, and is used more and more as a CMS these days. Thou shalt learn Wordpress.

3. Can't answer that one.
:)

kay
31-03-2010, 10:33 AM
1. Joomla is Satan's preferred CMS.

Gold. Quote of the day.

I second and third the recommendation for WordPress. It's kickarse and improving all the time.

I've used Drupal and I don't hate it, I think it's probably good if you need community features built in. I know some people around here like Expression Engine and MODx too.

But my heart belongs to WP :)

thezeski
31-03-2010, 10:47 AM
A. Joomla is very easy to start off with (basic websites/online stores/blogs) but becomes really hard to use once you try to customize your site. I've found that lately I'm struggling to fit my desired site architecture into Joomla's rigid definitions rather than the other way around. Drupal is the opposite, it's a bit harder to get into but insanely customizable.
B. I would probably recommend Wordpress. I've only had about... 15 minutes of exposure to it and never used it on a website - but it's easily the most accessible CMS platform I've ever seen. As a very simple way to define complexity and bloat - A normal out of the box Joomla install is comprised of 3,934 files. A Wordpress install has only 753. I'm not saying that Joomla is 4 times harder, but it's certainly more bloated and rigid than it needs to be.
C. I have no idea, sorry mate.

danspace
31-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for or the quick feedback!
A. Joomla is very easy to start off with (basic websites/online stores/blogs) but becomes really hard to use once you try to customize your site. I've found that lately I'm struggling to fit my desired site architecture into Joomla's rigid definitions rather than the other way around. Drupal is the opposite, it's a bit harder to get into but insanely customizable.

Pretty much sums up/confirms my experience with it, found hooking styles onto things without modifying the base styles.. painful.

So in short, repent, rinse and convert to wordpress-ianity?

thezeski
31-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for or the quick feedback!

Pretty much sums up/confirms my experience with it, found hooking styles onto things without modifying the base styles.. painful.

So in short, repent, rinse and convert to wordpress-ianity?

Haha, how about Wordpressanity?

But yeah, with XAMP/LAMP and Wordpress you could probably have a completed 4-5 page website site within an hour or two.

zeroedin
31-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Ah Dan, Dan the ChAtMaN! I was wondering when you would finally show up .

As I was having a chat to you and Carl not long ago, Wordpress can pretty much do just about anything (I have yet to get it to bring me the paper and pour me some coffee, but I bet there is a plugin somewhere that can do that).

One thing I learnt early on about it is do not be afraid to hack the hell out of some of the plugins. One I use the most I've hacked it beyond recognition and works perfectly for me.

kay
31-03-2010, 02:13 PM
One thing I learnt early on about it is do not be afraid to hack the hell out of some of the plugins. One I use the most I've hacked it beyond recognition and works perfectly for me.

But don't touch the core. Or you'll be in a world of pain. I've never come across anything I wanted to do that couldn't be accomplished with a plugin however (either a prewritten one, a customised one, or a from scratch one).

Yaheed
31-03-2010, 03:16 PM
A) No, Joomla is not evil :P

I've been using Joomla for about 2 years ... that's 1.0 and then to 1.5 last year. 1.5 came with some much needed improvements but when 1.6 comes out it will be even better. You can change the way it outputs all of it's component, modules and plugins fairly easily but it can be quite clunky at times.

I find it very easy to use and customise and it's fairly client-friendly. But if I had to choose it over another CMS such as Wordpress, ModX or ExpressionEngine then I would probably not choose Joomla.

B) Wordpress seems to be the CMS of choice these days but I've had very limited experience with it. I've also heard great things about both ModX and ExpressionEngine.

C) I'm too busy buying beer than food so I have no idea, sorry :P

zeroedin
31-03-2010, 03:24 PM
But don't touch the core. Or you'll be in a world of pain.

haha...um...yeah. I learnt that lesson very early on. Writing your own plugins is pretty easy to. I remember Drupal being a pain in this respect (wait, Drupal was all pain!).

jexley
31-03-2010, 06:07 PM
1) It's never done anything to me other than utter dark words of dark deeds, and once when it bent over, I could see the number "666" on its head.

2) "WordPress as a CMS was never its intention" I get told Every Single Time I do something to make it work better than most CMSes. It's brilliant and I could write plugins in my sleep (and did last week). I eventually want it to move in with me, though I admit I don't know if I'm ready for marriage yet.

3) My arteries hardened simply hearing that description while my stomach just threatened to flick me inna nutz if I don't get some of that soon. To be honest, I'm always a little afraid of anywhere here in Oz that serves food that plainly belongs in Texas, home of the Fattest and Stupidest, but my mouth is watering now. Next Wed is the next meetup right?

Botman
31-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Well I'll step in an answer the most important question.

3) Yes they do, it is called poutine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine). Hail Canada.

danspace
06-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, that affirmed. Now to extend my understanding of my new religion, Wordpressanity :)

Well I'll step in an answer the most important question.

3) Yes they do, it is called poutine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine). Hail Canada.
My 3 favourite foods there! I'm salivating in anticipation

zeroedin
06-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey ChAtMaN (or danspace, whatever your new nickname is), are you going tomorrow night to Port80 and if so are you bringing your partner in crime Carl?

If you guys are going (and anybody else for that matter!) I was thinking of meeting you lot in the city before head up to the Scotman. Any ideas? I'll be bussin it.

Vee
06-04-2010, 05:14 PM
(and anybody else for that matter!)

I'm seriously considering it just to see Judd devour a bowl of Poutine and try some myself.

It's a long trek from Mandurah but I did have a good chat with Nick Cowie on the way back last time.