PDA

View Full Version : Perth Port80 5th May 2010 + Mini Talks

tuna
27-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes its that time of the Month!

Time for another Perth Port80. The only event where devs, designers, SEO gurus, suits, CEOs and web consultants get to mingle in one room and have a casual chat over a beer and free pizza.

However this month there is MORE!

Yes the Port 80 Mini Talks are Back!!!!

Topic: Bonobos in the App Store
Speaker: Stuart Hall

Bonobo's experience with getting media / press attention / users over the web for new sites, products, what works, what doesn't, price elasticity, free vs paid apps and the effect of the iPad and that dreaded Apple App Store.

Venue: Velvet Lounge (back of Flying Scotsman Hotel), Mt Lawley.
When: Wednesday 5 May
Time: 6:00pm (talks around 6:30)
Cost: FREE

thezeski
27-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Wow, it's already been a month? That's crazy!

Count me in guys :)

Kazza
28-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm planning to come to this, will be my first one!

stuartkhall
28-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the invite Gary.

I will try and keep it short and relevant for those Apple haters :)

Cheers,
Stuart - Bonobolabs

zeroedin
28-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the invite Gary.

I will try and keep it short and relevant for those Apple haters :)

Cheers,
Stuart - Bonobolabs

some of us are not necessarily an apple haters...more like apple-cant-afford-to-lose-an-arm-and-a-leg-ers

thezeski
28-04-2010, 03:38 PM
some of us are not necessarily an apple haters...more like apple-cant-afford-to-lose-an-arm-and-a-leg-ers

+1

I would gladly own an Apple product if I didn't also own... a lot of debt :(

Hopefully the iPhone 4G will thrust the 3GS into the realm of affordability for me!

kay
28-04-2010, 03:56 PM
not an apple hater as such, just so sick of the hype about the ipad that if i actually see one i might not be able to control my more violent urges...

stuartkhall
28-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Definitely know where you are coming from re price, I was there myself not so long ago.

I'm not going to try and sell Apple products to anyone, just give some insights into how different pricing has worked for apps. Also contrast some experiences (media, user signup etc) we have had with Yoink which is a website and iPhone app.

Some people, understandably, have just reacted negatively to an Apple minitalk.

Cheers,
Stuart

tuna
28-04-2010, 04:02 PM
not an apple hater as such, just so sick of the hype about the ipad that if i actually see one i might not be able to control my more violent urges...

You know I'm not a fan of the iPlate / iCoaster. I can only see one application I could use it for, and then you need a tablet pen. Guess the fanbois have a need that I don't.

There is no way any talk will be about that device.

thezeski
28-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Definitely know where you are coming from re price, I was there myself not so long ago.

I'm not going to try and sell Apple products to anyone, just give some insights into how different pricing has worked for apps. Also contrast some experiences (media, user signup etc) we have had with Yoink which is a website and iPhone app.

Some people, understandably, have just reacted negatively to an Apple minitalk.

Cheers,
Stuart

It's an interesting topic and certainly isn't limited to the App Store. Micro transactions are here to stay and the App Store is one example of a system based around that model, and working well. I'd be keen to learn more about it :)

Just my 2c.

kay
28-04-2010, 04:42 PM
There is no way any talk will be about that device.

lol, as you know I've been using a real tablet computer since 2001. But let's not go there... I thought you said on Twitter the topic was iPad and Appstore?

Not that it matters, because either way I can't be there...

patricktt
28-04-2010, 05:11 PM
it's in my diary, my aim is to finally make it to one of these, so hopefully see you all there and finally meet some of you :)

ashul
28-04-2010, 07:23 PM
i would love to be there - this is something that is close to me.. we have pitched for 2 and look like winning at least 1 iPhone dev gigs, though my preference was never to go full app but more XML driven web page, so it can work on droid as well..

But looks like I might not make it due to another commitment :( Might need to send the crew from the office in..

A

Vee
28-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I suspect I may have to go to this one too

The talk should be interesting and poutine might be an option too

malgordon
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
looking forward to this.

Vee
04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
looking forward to this.

I was too, but as typically happens at the start of the month, my world has collapsed and I have far too much work to make it.

Any chance of a podcast for AWIA members?

tuna
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I was too, but as typically happens at the start of the month, my world has collapsed and I have far too much work to make it.

Any chance of a podcast for AWIA members?

Sadly I don't have the equipment to record the talks.

Vee
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Sadly I don't have the equipment to record the talks.

My loss, thanks for replying.

patricktt
04-05-2010, 05:18 PM
no-one attending who has the equipment to record it? I don't, but might be someone?

tuna
04-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Ideally a lapel mic and a digital recorder is the starting point.

We could plug a wired mic into a laptop, but I'm unsure about the mic and leads etc at the Scotsman.

malgordon
04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
will bring my camcorder (is this a quaint expression nowadays?)

quality is shite though.

tuna
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
will bring my camcorder (is this a quaint expression nowadays?)

quality is shite though.

film with the lens cap on, just get the sound, room is usually too dark for video pickup.

malgordon
04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
this things so crap it doesn't even have a 'mic in' slot

tuna
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
this things so crap it doesn't even have a 'mic in' slot

this is why a lapel mic is ideal.

patricktt
05-05-2010, 08:34 AM
here's a thought... there is an app for the iphone called iTalk. It actually works quite well with the handsfree kit.. so at a stretch, if you had the iphone in your pocket, and clipped the microphone of the handsfree kit to your collar, you have a lapel mic ;)

alternatively, if someone has bluetooth hands free, the iphone could sit somewhere nearby and then just clip the hands free around the ear or however it would work..

just a thought, could be a good temporary measure but would have to be as unobtrusive and easy to use as possible.

any other thoughts? :D

actually this looks good too... http://www.iphoneappsplus.com/business/irecorder-pro---pocket-voice-recorder/index.htm

wifi sync :D

tuna
05-05-2010, 08:43 AM
here's a thought... there is an app for the iphone called iTalk. It actually works quite well with the handsfree kit.. so at a stretch, if you had the iphone in your pocket, and clipped the microphone of the handsfree kit to your collar, you have a lapel mic ;)

alternatively, if someone has bluetooth hands free, the iphone could sit somewhere nearby and then just clip the hands free around the ear or however it would work..

just a thought, could be a good temporary measure but would have to be as unobtrusive and easy to use as possible.

any other thoughts? :D

actually this looks good too... http://www.iphoneappsplus.com/business/irecorder-pro---pocket-voice-recorder/index.htm

wifi sync :D

So does anyone have a iphone handsfree kit?

patricktt
05-05-2010, 08:50 AM
well i have an iphone with the 'handsfree' in that its the headphones with mic on it that you plug in.

happy for that to be used, though would need to test it beforehand to make sure it works - happy to get up there a bit earlier if required.

if someone has the bluetooth for iphone it might work better..

from the sounds of it though that irecorder may work well from just being in the pocket, would have to test volume levels with just that as well..

Zen
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM
if anyone records the talk, it would be much appreciated if it's uploaded somewhere as an audio file ;)

KevBroon
05-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I'll be there, looking forward to it.

tuna
05-05-2010, 01:04 PM
if anyone records the talk, it would be much appreciated if it's uploaded somewhere as an audio file ;)

If it is recorded it will be uploaded into the members only area.

Vee
05-05-2010, 01:48 PM
If it is recorded it will be uploaded into the members only area.

A notice on here would be appreciated

tuna
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
A notice on here would be appreciated

It's all a massive Maybe at the moment. One step at a time. If the recording works etc.

Then it will be posted online by AWIA and a notice put on the forums.

Vee
05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
It's all a massive Maybe at the moment. One step at a time.

Yeah, I understand

Would just hate to ask about it a couple of weeks down the track and be given a snide "have you checked the members area" in reply

stuartkhall
05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks to AWIA for asking me to talk tonight, I had fun. Definitely planning on getting down to more Port80 events.

Cheers,
Stuart - Bonobo

tuna
05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Sadly Stuart's talk wasn't recorded. However I will look into getting a standard audio mic, and maybe doing a loop back or something...

KevBroon
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks Stuart, that was a great talk - very interesting.

Tuna, maybe we could stream the discussions in realtime with webex or similar? Would be more interactive than a podcast or audio download, I know I benefited from being able to ask Stuart questions.

Zen
06-05-2010, 04:03 AM

Tuna, maybe we could stream the discussions in realtime with webex or similar? Would be more interactive than a podcast or audio download, I know I benefited from being able to ask Stuart questions.

live audio streaming+questions via twitter?

nebbian
06-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the talk Stuart, it was quite inspiring! Also fantastic to meet both you, tuna and some other webheads last night :)

tuna
06-05-2010, 07:32 AM
live audio streaming+questions via twitter?

While this is great idea the issues are:

1) good internet connection, subject to 3G dongle connection.
2) We are reliant on the internal camera and mic of the laptop.
4) The lighting isn't that great.
3) I wouldn't recommend Webex for a mobile connection as it is a little slow.

I will also remind people that all the equipment and bandwidth is currently supplied on a volunteer basis.

Also the point of Mini talks is for people to attend f2f. If you are not in Perth, then start your own Port80 mini talks. Its not that hard.

kay
06-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Also the point of Mini talks is for people to attend f2f. If you are not in Perth, then start your own Port80 mini talks. Its not that hard.

And if you're too young to come to the pub and you can't convince a parent of guardian to bring you along, wait til you turn 18 like poor Mattman had to - he started on here when he was 14 :)

tuna
06-05-2010, 09:44 AM
And if you're too young to come to the pub and you can't convince a parent of guardian to bring you along, wait til you turn 18 like poor Mattman had to - he started on here when he was 14 :)

Yes I can see your point, but it would be better if someone organised Port80 Sydney talks for the NSW locals for instance in Zen's case.

If someone wants to organise the stream and look after it each month, I have no objection.

madpilot
06-05-2010, 10:08 AM

The problem with this is the venue doesn't have internet access, so unless we can get our hands on some sort of wireless device we wouldn't be able to do this.

natgimm
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
1. Thanks Stuart, enjoyed the talk from the business perspective. I'm intrigued by the iphone apps craze, and almost tempted to get one for the apps, not the phone part.

2. Whenever I have a phone conversation with my friends with iphones, I can never hear them properly (and even worse on speaker phone). Has anyone else experienced that?

3. Gary, in regards to recording, I could barely hear Stuart and I was only a couple of metres away. Very noisy in that room! May need a directional mic.

4. Nice to catch up with everyone. You're all such a friendly bunch :)

cheers
natalie

patricktt
06-05-2010, 11:09 AM
my two cents, great night, really enjoyed it and the talk was really interesting. Definitely agree that being just a couple of metres away I was still struggling to hear, not sure how much cash if any AWIA has at its disposal, but as the port80 meets are only once a month, is hiring a portable sound system for the night (which would come with mic and speakers) a possible option? might not be lapel mic but would still make a difference..

tuna
06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
my two cents, great night, really enjoyed it and the talk was really interesting. Definitely agree that being just a couple of metres away I was still struggling to hear, not sure how much cash if any AWIA has at its disposal, but as the port80 meets are only once a month, is hiring a portable sound system for the night (which would come with mic and speakers) a possible option? might not be lapel mic but would still make a difference..

Agree, I couldn't hear Stuart at all from the back. The background ambient noise was just too loud.

All we would need is a mic, we can plug it intp the existing speakers.

Well AWIA Committee is there the budget for renting, borrowing, stealing, a mic.

Zen
06-05-2010, 12:43 PM
At the end of this year I'm moving to Brisbane, are there any talks there?

If there aren't i would be happy to find a venue and try to get one going, it would be great for the community to expand. also, on monday I'm becoming an AWIA member.

tuna
06-05-2010, 12:58 PM
At the end of this year I'm moving to Brisbane, are there any talks there?

If there aren't i would be happy to find a venue and try to get one going, it would be great for the community to expand. also, on monday I'm becoming an AWIA member.

There is noone organising Port80 in Brisbane currently, although there is a vibrant local community.

ashul
06-05-2010, 01:00 PM
This is an "official AWIA" response.

We are currently exploring the workings and set-up of AWIA supported/unsupported community based Port80's across Australia.

We will have more on this in a few weeks.

Ashul

BuystreamTV
11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm a new member based in Perth and can't believe I missed this... when's the next one guys? Count me in.

nebbian
20-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd just like to say that Stuart's talk inspired me so much that I went out and bought an iPhone, made my first app within a week, and am really enjoying the ability to program stuff for the thing I carry round with me.

Thanks a million :)

ashul
21-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I'd just like to say that Stuart's talk inspired me so much that I went out and bought an iPhone, made my first app within a week, and am really enjoying the ability to program stuff for the thing I carry round with me.

That is amazing - Well DONE Stuart for presenting and Gary for organising :)

stuartkhall
21-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Brilliant! Let me know when it's released.

Reckon Steve J will give me a commission? :)